It's a simplistic explanation. Chicago's gang problems are more a result of
under-enforcement and looking the other way than of "class warfare." The
problem existed long before the rash of foreclosures. When I taught in Chicago
high schools 30 years ago, it was already fermenting. But no one wanted to get
tough with the gangs, they were coddled. "Disenfranchised youth" was a term
kicked around way back then. No one drew a line in the sand and said, you can't
behave that way. Now they're paying. We're all paying.