On 2011-06-10 14:21, frank theriault wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing what safety strategies you employ when working
in urban environments.

I've gotta say that I'm flabbergasted by some of the replies to this thread. The number one rule to surviving a fight is to avoid the damned thing in the first place. I defy /anyone/, Bruce Lee included, to use their man portable weaponry to hold off a flash mob of maybe several hundred people. One well armed and psychologically prepared defender against a couple of handful of thugs, you've got a chance. A few hundred of them, "you're f****ing vegemite, mate" in the words of one of my Aussie friends.

If that sort thing is in the offing, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! What the Hell are you people, combat photogs with death wishes? If the problem is nearly as bad as portrayed by some of those articles, I'm bloody well staying at home, or moving to a different city. I'm probably trying to contract having Jersey Barriers installed at the ground-floor entry points. Even if it's not 24/7, my luck is that I'd show up just in time to be a victim if I lived near that s***.

It doesn't take a huge amount of "tactical acuity" to realize that you're f***ing hosed in a one-versus-a-hundred fight, the TV shows and movies notwithstanding. You're only chance is that you've lucked into a "kill or maim one and the rest chicken out" scenario, or you can get them fighting each other while you "take a powder" somewhere else.

I don't wander into certain parts of Atlanta for /exactly/ the same reasons I wouldn't wander into certain parts of Fallujah.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)