On 11/06/2011 03:57, Doug Franklin wranted:
On 2011-06-10 14:21, frank theriault wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing what safety strategies you employ when
working
in urban environments.

I've gotta say that I'm flabbergasted by some of the replies to this
thread. The number one rule to surviving a fight is to avoid the damned
thing in the first place. I defy /anyone/, Bruce Lee included, to use
their man portable weaponry to hold off a flash mob of maybe several
hundred people. One well armed and psychologically prepared defender
against a couple of handful of thugs, you've got a chance. A few hundred
of them, "you're f****ing vegemite, mate" in the words of one of my
Aussie friends.

If that sort thing is in the offing, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! What the Hell
are you people, combat photogs with death wishes? If the problem is
nearly as bad as portrayed by some of those articles, I'm bloody well
staying at home, or moving to a different city. I'm probably trying to
contract having Jersey Barriers installed at the ground-floor entry
points. Even if it's not 24/7, my luck is that I'd show up just in time
to be a victim if I lived near that s***.

It doesn't take a huge amount of "tactical acuity" to realize that
you're f***ing hosed in a one-versus-a-hundred fight, the TV shows and
movies notwithstanding. You're only chance is that you've lucked into a
"kill or maim one and the rest chicken out" scenario, or you can get
them fighting each other while you "take a powder" somewhere else.

I don't wander into certain parts of Atlanta for /exactly/ the same
reasons I wouldn't wander into certain parts of Fallujah.

Jersey Barriers?