Bob if you do get here in the fall, you will understand what Dan and I are saying about this...

One thing about the cars is that the traffic can be so bad that they are scarcely moving - sometimes at a total standstill so a pedestrian can cross the street without fear :) but the cyclists then weave in and out of the cars and , as I said before, if you are walking you cant hear them and they go so fast if you look in one direction and
are clear they might be there in a flash when you look in the other...

They even cycle at night without lights or reflector The courteous and safe have bells to jingle and lights so you can see them at night, but there are far to many who are way reckless.
Would love the private cars to go too, as I said earlier.

ann - frankly scared of 'em

Bob W wrote:

that sounds like a good idea. Wish they'd do that in London.

There are lots of things the city is trying ot do.  One proposal is to
ban all private vehicle from Midtown and to restrict trucks to
off-peak hours.

Large stretches of Broadway are now pedetrian mall, with tables and
chair set up right in the middle of the street:

Dan