> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Ann Sanfedele

> Bob if you do get here in the fall, you will understand what Dan and I
> are saying about this...
>
> One thing about the cars is that the traffic can be so bad that they
> are
> scarcely moving  - sometimes at a total
> standstill so a pedestrian can cross the street without fear :) but the
> cyclists then weave in and out of the cars
> and , as I said before, if you are walking you cant hear them and they
> go so fast if you look in one direction and
> are clear they might be there in a flash when you look in the other...

the situation is the same here in London. I cycle to work almost every day,
and mostly the motor traffic is at a standstill. I've also in the past
routinely driven to work, so I know it from both sides. There is a perfectly
valid, legal and recommended technique for cyclists, including motor
cyclists, to filter in slow- or non-moving traffic. In the UK, at least,
it's perfectly legal to do this. As pedestrians - which we all are - we also
have a responsibility to look out for ourselves, but I've had any number of
pedestrians step in front of me without looking. Luckily I haven't had any
accidents that way. Equally, of course, the cyclists should be looking out
for pedestrians.

It's quite simply, really. People should stop being selfish, and walk,
cycle, drive courteously.

> They even cycle at night without lights or reflector The courteous and
> safe have bells to jingle and lights so you can
> see them at night, but there are far to many who are way reckless.

sure, but they're already breaking the law. Making it compulsory to use
cycle lanes just gives the bad cyclists one more law to break, and it makes
things more dangerous for the law-abiding cyclists.

On the basis of this discussion I'd say your problem is not cyclists per se,
but New Yorkers in general since the cyclists' and drivers' behaviour seems
to be equally bad.

> Would love the private cars to go too, as I said earlier.

Me too.