On 11-06-27 3:26 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
On Jun 27, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Rick Womer wrote:
Well, compared to the Flickr interface, or the tectonic launch time of the
Pentax Gallery, or the merely glacial launch time of Smugmug... it's an
annoyance, but not a disabling one.
Every time the photo.net ad pops up, I grumble to myself, never again, but
forget before clicking on one of the links the next time.

How much would people be willing to pay for a photo hosting site that didn't
suck?

I expect the answer to that is, "not much; zero preferred", at least for us amateurs. Professionals are much more willing to pay for a site, but are also much more likely to create or commission a custom one, especially since the portfolio capabilities and design of all the photo service sites I've seen are, in a word, crap.

One solution employed by a few PDMLers that looks pretty good is to publish a gallery directly from Lightroom to Dropbox. That gives you full control over the look'n'feel with no annoying ads or any intrusive server-owner stuff at all. You don't get comments ability or any statistics though. I've done that with a number of galleries that I just wanted to share with family, friends and/or PDMLers alone.

I actually like the stats and some of the social features of Flickr so I paid the $25 "Pro" tax and am in general happy with it. I don't like that they foist ads on innocent casual viewers of my photo-stream though. It seems the only way to avoid seeing ads is for the viewer to buy a Pro account.

-bmw