On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Photo.net members don't see the ads. I've considered changing but I have over
> 3000 images on photo.net, and I"m paid up through 2012. Plus, I don't really
> have time go fool around with something new. I really don't like the flickr
> interface, but I think smugmug is nice. Maybe some day.

Adding my 2 cents.  Just because.

I'll look at photos on photodotnet if it's a PESO, GESO, or whatever,
but I never just go poke around there like I used to.  It's a shame.
There was, at one time, a thriving community at photo.net.

I don't much care for the interface at flickr.  It was never all that
great and IMHO it gets worse with every revision.  But if someone
posts a link to a photograph, I'll look at it.  Flickr's also nice,
due to the sheer volume, for searching for a particular subject, e.g.
if I wanna look at pictures of orange fixed-gear bicycles, or nudes
taken on 4x5 Tri-X and processed in XTOL, or whatever.

Smugmug is really nice for hosting photos and absolutely dreadful for
viewing them.  It's S L O W E R  T H A N  S N O T, those silly photo
rating pop-up thumb thingies that I have to wait for just to change
the size of the picture are awful, and I simply don't look at photos
hosted there.  Ever.

Photo bucket is fine if you're hosting photos there and displaying
them elsewhere, but I won't actually go to photobucket address to look
at a photo.

I had more or less settled on PIcasaweb for photo hosting, but I
really don't think the UI is as good as it used to be for viewing
purposes.  It's fine for embedding links on the blog, etc.

I may start hosting my own again, because the photo hosting sites are
like operating systems - they all suck.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/