On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Dario Bonazza
<dario.bona...@virgilio.it> wrote:
> A friend of mine has been using it intensively for more than one month now.
>
> Pros:
> - Very low noise,
> - Unbelievable wide dynamic range,
> - Excellent exposure, even in critical situations.
>
> Cons:
> - Viewfinder frames what it wants and not what you want (due to 75% coverage
> and parallax),
> - Viewfinder gives you no info (neither exposure data nor focus point),
> - "White dish" effect on bright spots.
>
> Main improvement suggested: get rid of that optical viewfinder and replace
> it with a good EVF a la Panasonic.

A friend of mine got one of the first ones in California. He
absolutely loves it ... except for the 'white dish' business. Like
Cotty, (and me to some degree), he specifically didn't want an EVF and
doesn't find the more approximate framing of the optical viewfinder a
problem. I think that's the current "great divide" in this class of
fixed-lens cameras.

I like the option of using either OVF or EVF that the GXR affords.
However, I decided to try working for a day with a 50mm lens and a
matched optical viewfinder a couple of weeks ago ... focus on the LCD,
frame and expose with the optical. It worked but was clumsy as hell
... it is easier to do the same with the Leica M using the RF and an
optical accessory finder because your head stays in about the same
position where with an LCD I have to back my head off by about six
inches to focus accurately. The optical would work much better if the
lens had AF and center-spot focusing pattern, once you figured out
where the spot was.

Conclusion: optical viewfinder for the AF 28 and 50, or with the
Manual 21-28mm lenses, for non-critical framing work. EVF/LCD for any
critical framing work or longer focal lengths.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com