Cotty wrote:

That would kill it for me Dario. The best EVF in the world is still a
bucket of horse turds compare to optical for me. And in case you'd like
to see the EVF i use every day, this is it:

<http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/sony_dxf-20w>

OK, I accept a different point of view. I am aware of the EVF in my wife's Panasonic G2 and I'd like such a thing in a compact camera like the X10, instead of the rather erratic OVF it is equipped with.

One thing I don't understand is:

Cons:
- Viewfinder frames what it wants and not what you want (due to 75% coverage
and parallax),

- Viewfinder gives you no info (neither exposure data nor focus point),

Where does this originate? It sounds to me like people are taking this
on without ever having used a rangefinder camera - hence not
understanding parallax error.

Sure, he never used a RF camera and he is mostly a SLR guy. But he understands parallax error and he used all kinds of cameras, from P&S (including the venerable Ricoh 500G) to several digicams featuring optical viewfinders, including a Canon G9 (with OVF) that was his compact camera a few years ago. He then replaced it with a Panasonic LX3 (without OVF), now replaced by the X10 mainly because of that viewfinder that he ended up not liking so much. He was prepared to some parallax error, but he told me that the image you see in the viewfinder and the picture you get are so apart and unpredictable that you could well point the camera by eye, without even looking into the OVF, and get the same precision in framing.

And not wanting to be pedantic, but I understand it's 85% coverage.

My friend reported me 75%, but I see official specs tell 85%. Perhaps he was referring to the area covered by the viewfinder compared to the registered picture (you know, 85% x 85% linear means 72.5% surface), or perhaps he was just disappointed and reported a wrong info. Point taken.

The fact there is no information in the
optical viewfinder is of no consequence to me. I plan to use it in
either fully manual by zone focus, or fully automatic while pissed at parties.

Good for you.

The highlights don't bother me - - yet. I'm buying the camera for fun
and easy use - if I wanted quality I'd get a 1Dx or maybe even a K-5 ;-)

;-)

Dario