----- Original Message -----
From: Shel Belinkoff
Subject: Re: ME Super film take up spool

> This is verrry interrrestink ... I've never had a misload with
the
> "magic needles" but I'm also careful to make sure everything
is just
> right ...

What is more intersting, I load film exactly the same way as
Shel does. I have loaded film in the manner he describes for
about 30 years. I won't even venture a guess about how many
thousands of rolls I have loaded this way, with absolutely no
The MZ autoload method, on the other hand, makes me very
nervous, as it puts an unseeming number of sharp bits of metal
in close proximity to the film.

William Robb

> First, I stick, almost force, the leader into the slot between
the
> needles, making sure it's in solidly, and then drag the
canister back
> letting the film unwind as I do so, making sure that the
sprockets have
> engaged the sprocket holes in the film.  This usually loads
the film
> with very little slack.  Then, before closing the camera back,
I wind
> the film on, making sure the film is properly engaged and
hasn't slipped
> from the spockets or the needles. The next step, while the
back is still
> open, is to rewind the film a little, making it taut, and then
close the
> back.  Finally, I wind it on two frames, making sure the
rewind crank is