I had a Pioneer SX550 when I was a student back in the 1970s. Like every piece of Pioneer equipment I have ever owned it started to go south after a few years. I put up with the crackling and dropouts until the late 1980s when I bought a Denon (forget the model) integrated amp. A big improvement, sound-wise, but when the switches started to wear out I bought an Arcam A70 integrated amp. What a difference! The sound is far superior to my previous equipment's. Every time I play an old CD or LP through the Arcam I marvel at what I have been missing all these years.

Anyway, try and find a good audio store in your area (not a Best Buy kind of place), where you can talk to someone knowledgeable and listen to a selection of equipment. Take some of your CDs and LPs along as well. Most sell used equipment, too. There's a lot of good equipment out there and the best stuff does not come from Japan. Arcam is British, and is even made there, too (or was when I bought mine). Keep an eye out for sales, of course!