On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 01:04:04PM -0400, Steve Sharpe wrote:

> The only decent experience I have had with Pioneer was a car deck,

[. . .]

I, like thousands of other students at the time, owned a Pioneer PL-12D
(complete with a lightweight headshell and a Shure M75EDII cartridge).
For the budget-conscious it was an excellent piece of equipment, and
served me well for many troublefree years - the only maintenance was
to replace the drive belt.

Nowadays the weakest link in the chain is definitely my hearing, so I
don't shop at high-end audio stores.  I am more than a little amused,
though, to note that PL-12Ds still get discussed in A/V forums, often
by folks who talk seriously about just which $200+ cartridge would be
best to use with it. I'd never have considered a PL-12D to be a true
HiFi deck, just exceptionally good value for money.  It was priced
in the same general region as the ubiquitous Garrard SP-25, and was
certainly a far better deck than the Garrard, but that's about all.

[FWIW - even now, almost forty years later, the model numbers spring
readily to mind; I'm not sure what that says about how my memory works].