On 27/01/2012 2:52 PM, David Parsons wrote:
My wife has a Kodak that she got or free secondhand.  It's a fine
camera, but Kodak isn't a brand I'd ever buy new.  They are marketed
to the very bottom of the market, and frankly, I feel that they aimed
at people who are unable to handle plugging in a cable.

For a lot of the buying public, that's all they want, and there is nothing wrong with that. Kodak started out by supplying point and shoot cameras that were, in the late 1800s, a precursor to the plastic single use cameras that came to dominate film sales in the 1980s and beyond. Sometimes I think those people are the ones who are mentally better balanced, The "advanced" photographers are, to a great extent, measurbators who place more importance on a test target than actual photography. Kodak bet their egg on film and paper manufacturing, and were woefully unprepared for the sea change in the photofinishing market which saw print sales go into free fall as more and more people used electronic media for viewing images rather than hard copy pictures.

--

William Robb