George Sinos wrote:

>I see many, many brands of "point & shoot" cameras in my Saturday morning
>class.
>
>One of the things I found interesting was people that owned Kodak
>cameras loved them, but always were kind of apologetic about owning
>the brand.  Most of them usually started a question with "this is only
>a Kodak, but..."

Most news articles have cited the advent of digital photography as
being the beginning of the end for Kodak. I think they started down
their fatal path much earlier, in the late 1950's when they gave up on
marketing "quality" cameras like the Retina and went pretty much
exclusively to the bottom end of the market. This led inevitably to
the decline in brand reputation (of their cameras, not film) and thus
to people apologizing with remarks like "this is only a Kodak, but..."

Note by contrast how shrewdly Nikon and Canon have used their high end
cameras to enhance the reputation of their more affordable gear.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com