Just what I was (not very clearly) trying to say with that long rant.

It's almost impossible to engineer human judgement out of an artistic process.

Whenever they add a new feature to make the process simpler, they
narrow the definition of "correct."  That leads to additional options
and adjustments for the user.

Eventually, those options and adjustments, outnumber the original
number of decisions you needed to make before all of the enhancements.
 In the end, this makes things more difficult for the beginner, who
was the target audience.

For those of us that read manuals and don't mind learning about this
stuff, it might lead to more flexibility.

That, however, is the exact opposite of what the camera manufacturers
had in mind.  They put many of those features on the camera to make
them more foolproof for beginners.

On the other hand, it keeps a steady stream of students signing up for
my classes.  So, I shouldn't complain.

gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com