On Jan 29, 2012, at 4:53 PM, steve harley wrote:

> on 2012-01-29 14:13 Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote
>> Knowing the characteristic curve of a sensor and how digital image
>> data exposure operates, it's very easy to 'place' the exposure where
>> you want it with a spot meter and a moment's thought: with the
>> brightest area of significant detail 5% below the saturation limit.
>
> okay, if the spot meter is cued to 15% gray, that means i'd meter as above,
> then adjust exposure plus whatever the fractional number of stops between 15%
> gray and 5% below saturation might be on my camera; i suppose i could test
> that and memorize the adjustment for key ISO values (as the headroom varies);
> i could preset that bias and be fairly efficient when highlight clipping is
> my main concern.

You can test for the difference between gray and 5% below clipped highlights.
You'll find it's about two stops. But you can tell by looking at a jpeg derived
histo as well. If the highlights are clipped just a wee bit, you're golden.

> but often i want to choose how much highlight to blow based on how much of my
> shadows i want keep from turning to mud; and sometimes i'm willing to blow
> one channel if i can count on keeping some contrast in the other two ...
> that's when the histogram helps because the best exposure is often not
> absolute, it's a creative compromise

Exactly. And the histogram on my K-5 works well for that. While the histo may
be based on a jpeg, the jpeg is merely the camera's conversion of the RAW. It's
in a smaller color space than I work with and it may clip highlights that are
useable in RAW conversion, but with some experience it's easy to predict where
those lie.
Paul