> What information I have been able to find seems to be from people who are
> not just fastidious with their batteries, but outright obsessive about them.
> On the one hand, they seem to know a lot about batteries. On the other hand,
> they seem like lunatics.

This is only tangentially related, but I'll mention it anyway, since
it relates to battery hygiene, and might save you a headache
someday... about a month ago, my K-5 had a little freak-out (google:
mirror flop) after I inserted an "over-charged" battery.  We're
talking about the Pentax Li-ion battery, in the Pentax charger...
there was a mix-up, and I had placed it back on the charger, even
though it had already been fully charged.  From the research I've
done, it seems the K-5 doesn't cope well with an over-charged batt...
my K-7 doesn't seem to have the same issue, and I haven't heard of the
issue with any other Pentax camera.  Since then, I've been more
careful about what's fully charged & what isn't, and haven't had a
recurrence of the flops.

Like I said, only tangentially related to your issue, but after that
episode,  I guess I can understand how a perfectly nice person could
get a little lunatic-y about their batteries...

lol.

:)
-c