A "pro" body, in and of itself, won't do much good for image and increased
sales. Witness the Maxxum 9, which hasn't changed the perception of Minolta as
being a maker of mass market/amature cameras. Contax certainly makes cameras
that some pros use, but that hasn't given them widespread name recognition
among non-enthusasists. The way that Nikon and Canon have gotten pros to use
their equipment is by making a suitable product and by supporting pros. This
takes a solid product, an extensive product line (lenses), good repair
facilities and the budget for the maker to pay for it. Even when Canon game out
with their far advanced AF they had to spend a small fortune, up front, to get
pros to switch. It's tough to get a sizeable portion of the 35mm pro market
(Minolta gave up on it). A company may be able to sell a lot more non-pro,
amature bodies, because they have the right name on it, but that's just cashing
in on your investment. Pentax persued the 35mm pro market the same way they did
the MF market by making a good product (LX) and letting it sell itself: doesn't
work in the 35mm market.
A highend "image" body, that's not widely used by pros, will be mostly noticed
by people already using that camera brand. It won't get you many new customers.
To the general public, all you need to look like a pro is a SLR, a big lens and
flash and a camera bag. I am sure that there are people with the means who
decide to get a camera, want the "best" and buy a $3,000 Nikon system with
little idea of how to use it well. I'm sure Pentax would like to sell to that
customer too: sales are sales. It takes a lot of time and money to establish
that kind of reputation.

http://mail.yahoo.com/