On Apr 18, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Tom C wrote:

> I've never paid MSRP. MSRP has always been artificially high so that
> anything below that looks like a discount.
>
> In fact if Pentax had demanded MSRP for their products, my association
> with Pentax would have been over at the time I was choosing between a
> PZ-1p and a Nikon 8008s.
>
> I specifically DON'T buy expensive items in the local camera store
> BECAUSE they attempt to sell it at MSRP or close to it. Yeah, go ahead
> and knock $50 or a $100 off MSRP. What are they taking me for, a fool?

Just to point out that there is another side to the story, I have paid MSRP
(minus a small "good customer" discount") for all of the camera bodies I bought
from the PZ-1p (3) through the MZ-S, (2) and *ist-D (2). After that the local
guy could no longer get goods from Pentax. I paid MSRP because I wanted a place
to go and touch and feel the merchandise, I wanted a place to take care of my
photo processing (and then later my scanning), I wanted Mitch to stay in
business, and it was worth a few hundred bucks "extra" on my purchases to help
keep him in business. I also don't shop Wal-Mart. I think the drive to the
cheapest possible price on everything is a reflection of the unmitigated greed
that consumes such a large portion of the population. We want to have all of
the "stuff" that we can get, and rather than prioritizing and choosing what
luxuries we will have that we can afford at a reasonable price, we go for cheap
low-quality stuff just to have it. Pentax has been extraordinary in providing
high quality goods at low prices; at some point the only rational options for
them are to lower quality or raise prices; I am comfortable with the latter. It
probably means I will only buy one K-3 rather than my preferred two, but I can
deal with that.

stan