> That makes perfect sense.  While I'm not really keen on the actual
> prices being enforced (who likes to pay more?), getting the product in
> stores for a similar price as online may actually get me to shop in a
> store if I want to try a lens out.
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Christine Nielsen <ch...@inielsen.net> wrote:
>> http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/lens-prices-and-our-channel-strategy-in-the-u

I say it makes little sense to the vast majority of consumers. It only
makes sense to a company that is a tad arrogant and misguided.

Some companies produce products that are in such high demand that they
can successfully dictate the selling price, for instance Apple and
iPads, Tesla, and Sony in the past. Most companies are not in that
position. What position do you (collective you) believe Ricoh Pentax
is in?

I've never paid MSRP. MSRP has always been artificially high so that
anything below that looks like a discount.

In fact if Pentax had demanded MSRP for their products, my association
with Pentax would have been over at the time I was choosing between a
PZ-1p and a Nikon 8008s.

I specifically DON'T buy expensive items in the local camera store
BECAUSE they attempt to sell it at MSRP or close to it. Yeah, go ahead
and knock $50 or a $100 off MSRP. What are they taking me for, a fool?
When I can purchase the same item for $100's less from numerous online
retailers? Last I checked, Sears & Roebuck had the K-5 at MSRP through
their online store. Any bets on how many K-5's they sell compared to
other retailers?

Pentax once again has it backwards. They can only successfully dictate
selling price if their product is in such high demand that customers
will swallow hard and pull out their credit cards. I simply don't see
that happening. I predict this strategy will fail miserably  and will
lead to a result opposite of what Pentax expects, i.e., fewer sales,
lesser volume. Hmm... what will that mean for Pentax?

Question, do you (collective you) think that Nikon and Canon have deep
enough pockets to simultaneously discount their products?

This sounds like Pentax committing hari kari to me.

Tom C.