The one small problem I see with this policy is that it can only
extend to "new" items.

Thus, I think we'll see a plethora of "open box" demo models being
sold as "used" at whatever the market will bear. I wonder if this is
already taking place. The DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited (that will
finally be in my grubby little hands *tomorrow*) was an "E+" used lens
at Adorama for a little over $200 less than the "new" price. Sure,
there is no warranty, but I've never had a lens problem that occurred
inside of a warranty period anyhow. If you have, then maybe the extra
is worth it. But I'm willing to "gamble". In any event, I could spend
$200 on a repair and still be even with the warranty guy, except that
my "advantage" doesn't expire when the warranty does.

The Big Boys obviously are going to have an advantage in quantity of
"used & open box demos" they can offer over the small shop.

Keep in mind that in the past, the really low prices you saw
advertised were for Grey Market lenses that didn't come with USA
warranties anyway.