On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org> wrote:
> It has been said many times that abundance of equipment can suppress
> the [necessity for] creativity. Or, maybe the opposite is correct:
> lack of proper equipments boosts up the creativity.

I agree. Creativity blossoms in an environment of constraint.

I know from my own experience that when I have too much equipment,
when I'm constantly having to make decisions between this body, that
lens, this filter, etc etc, what's happening is that I'm distracted
from my subject and involved with the equipment. When I have little
equipment, I tend to concentrate on the subject more and think, "Ok,
this is what I want and this is what I have—how can I get what I want
with what I have?"

It's why I'm more and more inclined to carry less and less equipment:
it pushes me to be involved with the subject, and to exploit the
equipment I'm carrying more deeply. Rather than rely upon fancy
focusing systems, I exercise what I know about zone focus. Rather than
be subject to the whim of automatic metering, I learn to see light and
just set the camera to suit. It's why I've mostly abandoned the
automated gear and shoot more and more with manual focus and manual
exposure gear.

My results have become more consistent and my failures more
educational: I don't beg the camera to do what I want, I tell the
camera to do what I need ... and I only miss if I tell it to do the
wrong thing. It breeds a level of security and self reliance that a
dependence upon automation cannot provide.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com