On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org> wrote:

> It has been said many times that abundance of equipment can suppress
> the [necessity for] creativity. Or, maybe the opposite is correct:
> lack of proper equipments boosts up the creativity.

I agree ... and disagree. :-)

I prefer to pre-visualize at home what I expect to be capturing during
the shoot, then choose from my (abundance of) available equipment and
take *only* what I will need along on the shoot for that purpose.

I can see where having too much stuff along could produce a form of
paralysis in some people. Like what happens when I go to a restaurant
with a 20-page menu. I agree that limiting my choices at the shoot
avoids distractions, but it's actually unnecessary for me to do that.
While I'm shooting I concentrate on the subject and the kit in my
hands -- I don't start thinking: what if I swapped filters or lenses
now?

I get no shots while switching glass.

So extra kit I might have brought will likely stay in my kit bag until
I get a sudden idea or an entirely new subject opportunity presents
itself.

But I don't agree that an abundance of equipment suppresses
creativity. A lack of proper equipment will push your creative
boundaries and grow your skills as a problem solver, but could also
produce some technically piss-poor images. I'd say that different
amounts and kinds of kit wil promote different creativity.

And, like Godfrey, I've come to the conclusion that automation gets in
the way of reaching my goals. AF doesn't unless I direct it with
AF-points. MF and wide-angle is best for off-the-hip shots. Manually
metering light is often best for exposure, especially in artificial
light and/or modifiers situations.

One thing I'll say is that spending lots of continuous quality time
with each bit of gear that yo do have pays off big. Get to know the
characteristics of each piece: body, lens, light, reflector. Then
you'll be much more prepared to handle the unexpected opportunity that
comes up.

--
-bmw