Thought provoking post...
I believe that creativity ultimately comes from the tool between our
ears. Equipment can not substitute for creativity, but it can enable
greater creativity through a new way to see the world (for example, a
shallow DOF lens can suddenly help you to envision scenes in a way you
could not capture before). Using the shallow DOF EXAMPLE however, one
could "creatively" get it (in some situations) with your existing
equipment if it included close-up filters, or an extension tube. As
Godfrey's experience shows, an over-abundance of choices can become
crippling (or at least a distraction and something else that needs to
be managed, robbing what I call "brain cycles" from our CPU).

Where I think an over-abundance of equipment "hurts" creativity in
that we tend not to spend enough time mastering ALL of the ways we can
use a piece of equipment before we are moving on to play with the next
piece. Creativity is enhanced by being familiar with ones tools in
more than a superficial manner.

I do think that (in general) we photographers tend to spend much more
money and energy on evaluating and buying equipment than we do in
investing in the wonderful tool housed between our ears. I think that
when we do that, we find that creativity need not diminish or reach an
end, simply because our acquisition of new equipment must slow or
stop.

I also think that if one is truly creative, then they can invent new
ways to combine their tools to create things that might have been
difficult or impossible in the past. For example, (I have not tried
this yet) but we've all probably seen self-portraits of people who are
caught off the ground, or appear to be flying or floating. In thinking
about how this might have been done, it occurred to me that my camera
has a 12 second self-timer and that if I could somehow leap at 11.5
seconds then I could consistently achieve similar results. How to do
that? There may be other ways, but I bought a Korg clip-on-ear
metronome for my daughter years ago. If one tuned the metronome so
that one could count to 10 in 11.5 seconds then one could leap at the
count of 10 then you would be in the air when the camera took the
picture. (long hair would cover the device, or that ear could simply
be turned away from the camera). Would such a shot be possible without
a self-timer and a metronome? Possibly, but perhaps only 1 out of 20
shots might capture the desired effect. Or one would have to employ a
2nd person, changing the equation from that of a self-portrait
(obviously). In the example above, equipment was involved (and if you
don't already have it, the need to procure one or more components).
But there was also creativity involved in simply working out how one
could achieve results similar to what I had seen someone else produce.
If one had been the *first* to do such a shot then they could lay
claim to a whole 'nother level of creativity (as opposed to me, who is
attempting to imitate their results). However, I do not think that
standing on the shoulders of anothers prior work or research
disqualifies one (or one's work) from being creative
themselves/itself.