On 8/20/2012 1:06 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
There is another aspect of this, which varies from person to person,
and that is how worthwhile it is to spend the effort to get the last
bit of performance out of a particular piece of gear.  For example,
at some point someone with $1,000 lying around would do better to buy
a K-5 for doing low light photography, than they would spending the
time figuring out how to get the very last bit of performance out of
a K100Dsuper.

In the days of film bodies, the benefits of learning the gear
generally outweighed the benefits of upgrading, at least far more
than it does today.  These days, there is a balance, which is a lot
harder to pin down, where better gear may far outweigh marginally
better performance out of the gear you have.

Oh, that's an excellent point. The more Moore's law enters our lives, the deeper becomes the default behavior that instead of learning one's tools the upgrade has to be made. Indeed, sometimes it is worth it, but sometimes it is not.

I don't think that my upgrade from K10D to K-7 was correct course of action, but it is too late for this one...

Having "downgraded" to Ricoh GXR with its "mere" 12 MP sensor I feel kind of relaxed now. Hope to keep that way even after Photokina or whatever will trigger the tsunami of new announcements...