On Aug 9, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing I'll say is that spending lots of continuous quality time
> with each bit of gear that yo do have pays off big. Get to know the
> characteristics of each piece: body, lens, light, reflector. Then
> you'll be much more prepared to handle the unexpected opportunity that
> comes up.

Yep, totally agree here.  To my mind, a good artist of any genre knows her
tools very well--and knows how to use them to creative effect to achieve a
desired final result.  I also believe tools do influence the final result in
equal measure to the creative decisions made *during* the *process* of creating
art.

Often this question--Creativity vs Gear--is set up as an either/or, but it's
not; it's both!  Painters experiment with the great variety of brushes and
paints, which all produce different effects--as do sculptors, wood carvers,
seamstress (sewing notions and different kinds of machines), writers who have a
preference for a certain paper or pen or keyboard etc, etc.

A young artist may be more inclined to experiment with different tools because,
well, they're young and they are still finding their voice or vision and
discovering their artistic process--how they like to work and the tools they
like to use: knowing how one likes to work is 50% of becoming an artist who
regularly creates art.

We often talk about tools and the final result they may or may not achieve, but
tools, in my view, facilitate artistic process-- good tools combined with
artists who understand those tools--and the creative decisions made during the
creative process usually makes for a very enjoyable artistic process--the
process should give pleasure, it should allow for creative discovery while in
the act of creating art.  When an artist has excellent tools and knows how to
use them well,  this often allows the artist to actually forget about the tools
and focus on the *process* of creating art--and when the artist is deep in the
zone, that is, the process--it's very pleasurable.

Cheers, Christine