On Sep 15, 2012, at 9:16 PM, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 14/09/2012 6:34 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>> I doubt that a lack of a competitive 24 x 36 camera will lead to immediate
>> defections over the holiday buying season, although it
>> might  cost Pentax  some sales to impressionable newbies. The Nikon
>> certainly wouldn't interest me if it couldn't equal the low-
>> light performance of the K-5. If the K-5 II matches the noise performance of
>> the K-5 with much better autofocus, it will get some
>> excellent reviews, and it will sell. Their are already some preliminary
>> whispers of praise for the filter-free version. Pentaxians have
>> fixated on frame dimension  because they don't have a big one. I suspect
>> that much of the rest of the world doesn't care.
>
> Paul, with all due respect this is basically what you've said for the
> past 9 or 10 years.

And for nine or ten years I've been right.

> If Pentax doesn't have it, why would one need it?
> When Pentax does finally come out with it, you're among the first to
> jump on the bandwagon and sing its praises.

I've been an early adapter on APS-C cameras and lenses. Don't think I'll go for
full frame right away. It will depend a lot on the lens lineup and
compatibility with the DA* 60-250, my workhorse.

> I remember you asking why anyone would need more than a 6MP DSLR when
> I was complaining about the fact that's all Pentax was churning out.

I don't recall saying that, but there's much I don't recall. Apparently, you
pay more attention to what I've said than i do!  IN any case, Pentax wasn't
stuck at 6 for very long.

> The fact that they don't have a FF DSLR yet has led to my defection,
> and I've been shooting for years. The D800E is expensive but doable at
> less than half the cost of their prior FF DSLR in the category.
> There's a huge selection of lenses, and I'll have double the base
> resolution of anything Pentax has to offer. In addition, the D800/E
> does appear to have excellent low-light capability (I realize you're
> probably referring to the D600), and it'll have the superior AF.

You've bought a D800E? Or you're just thinking about it. I thought about it
when I had problems with Pentax repair, but they made it right and sent me a
new camera. I just don't want to see APS-C development abandoned in favor of a
format that has little lens support.

> Actually the REST of the world does care. Evidence is the fact that
> the two largest DSLR manufacturers have multiple FF bodies and have
> had for years.

But Pentax isn't ready to compete on their level. If they can muscle up both a
camera and lens lineup in full frame, more power to them. But I still don't see
it.