Thanks, Steve, very helpful.  I've always been intrigued by this version and
the X100.  I need to check it out at a camera store.  I shall put that on the
TO DO list.  Good to know about the optical VF and the lens quality on the X10.
 If I were to invest in a *serious compact, * I'd want an excellent optical
viewfinder because I'm steadier and more comfortable when the camera is
left-of-nose rather than center-of-nose--when doing surface photography that
is; when I'm splashing around in water with the Optio WG II, center-of-nose is
just fine :-).

Big thanks, Steve.  Cheers, Christine