I just try to watch settings in the view finder. I have the front dial
set to aperture and the rear set to ISO. I don't bump the front
often...the ISO dial is more problematic. Usually I double check
everything before I hit the shutter, but in fast moving situations you
stop noticing that you are suddenly at iso 6400 @ f16. Whoops. I'm on
the fence. Nikons I think require a button press for the dials to
activate. This could be useful sometimes. At the same time I love that
I can hold the camera up to my eye and start dialing in what I want
immediately, so its a double edged sword. I typically preset my camera
to the settings I want anyways. If things are changing a lot, I will
use auto-iso and set a max ISO and just bump my aperture up and down
to give me the shutter speeds I need. Adjusting the program line to a
faster or slower speed depending on subject matter is also highly
useful. I find that I use auto ISO on the k-5 a bit, where on the k-7
I was always trying to keep my ISO as low as possible with 1600 being
my  if max when IQ is not critical. On the k-5 I'll use 3200 without
hesitation and even 6400...especially for black and white 6400 is
pretty pleasing with the noise pattern resembling grain somewhat.