"Especially now that we are in the age of  digital, and a lot of DSLRs
are more similar than SLRs once were.  "

I realized after I wrote that, that I sort of agree with what you  quoted
from Hogan. Which got me thinking a little deeper.

The  touchy-feely part of a Pentax camera:   where the buttons are, easy of
 manual use (finger placement and movement), green button -- that a lot
have  liked on this list, a lot of the reason for Pentax loyalty, was probably
a lot  more important in a film camera.

Now there is a lot of digital feedback  rather than just manual feedback,
so the touchy-feely part may have become much  less important for some. Hmmm,
how to put this? Before, SLR camera use was more  physical/viscerial, and
now, with DSLRs, camera use is really more  mental/cyber-spaced. AND DSLRs do
very similar things and have very similar  features now. SLRs differed
more. For instance, all have menus on the LCD, etc.,  etc. etc.

I started in PDML in about 2000-2001 too, and switched between  Pentax and
Canon film and digital cameras, and that has been my experience, that  SLRs
differed more. And that the touchy-feely part doesn't matter very much to
me now.

Anyway, those are my broad, sweeping generalizations, if clear.

HTH, Marnie aka Doe :-)

In  a message dated 4/13/2013  6:39:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,