For me, yes it was the lack of a FF body, combined with the vast gulf
between the D800's and the Pentax line last year. I've been yearning
for a FF body at least since the Canon 5D, if not from the day I
unboxed the *ist D. That, combined with the general recognition that
Pentax has been historically slow to market for the past 20 years at
least, made me pull the trigger. As some point one gets tired of
waiting, and I reached that point last autumn. Prices on FF fell to
the point where upgrading was expensive yet not out of reach.

I agree with what Thom Hogan says also. However I don't think most
people that switch brands think the new camera will *make* them a
better photographer anymore than upgrading within a brand. The reason
for switching or having multiple brands is varied. Foremost though for
me is, the potential of what I might accomplish with new camera 'X',
"Y', or 'Z'. Having switched to Nikon I find the lens selection to be
amazing. While some are pricey their performance is stellar, and there
are a number of excellent performers that are not all that expensive..

I fall into both of your categories, as I also purchased a NEX-7 and a
number of lenses. Easily DSLR quality and the camera bag with 3 lenses
is 1/3 the size and weight of what a normal DSLR kit would weigh.
Great for travel when I don't desire the extra bulk and weight.
(RX-100 when I really want to go light).

It's not that much different from film days is it? For me, at least,
there was always the pent up desire to upgrade. After 7 years I went
from an MX to a PZ-1p. Big difference there, with AF, matrix-metering,
motor-drive topping the list. Then there was the desire to go larger
with medium format.

I don't do my own printing and usually desire larger than 13 x 19, so
a higher MP body helps in that regard as well.

I think he's mixing apples and oranges on the printing thing. I simply
don't have the time or desire to fiddle-fuddle with the workflow
necessary to achieve proper results when printing. Sometimes I wish I
did, but I find it easier to send a file to a printer.

I don't know about it being a trend. I think prices have dropped to
where it becomes within the realm of affordability for more people,
especially if there current brand is not giving them what they need.

Tom C.