This post was too long to go through, so trimmed  Cotty's quoted material.

I have a hard time recounting my personal  history re cameras, because I
sort of forget it. I remember the names of the  Canons I've had (mostly), but
not the Pentaxes (because I am "with" Canon now is  probably the reason).

But you've recounted a lot of the reasons I  finally, permanently, switched
to Canon.

Here's my history (without  specific camera body names):  Pentax film,
Pentax film, Canon film, Canon  digital, Pentax digital, Canon digital, Canon
digital. All SLRs and DSLRs. I  like a viewfinder.

I mainly switched to Canon permanently for two  reasons AF and lens line
up. I wasn't interested in the * ist D either. That is  about the point that
Pentax lost me. It took so long to come out and for a long  time it was the
only one. I was still somewhat open to Pentax, because I had  tried the Canon
Elan (film), my introduction to Canon, and I truly hated that  camera body.
But it was around the time of the * ist D that zoom lenses also  became an
issue for me. Pentax just wasn't bringing them out. I've never been a
wide-angle person and never been snooty about primes -- I used zooms from the
get-go, even with Pentax.

I think I prefer ease of use to anything. Once  I used the Canon Rebel, I
started being hooked on Canon. It was just the right  size and had better AF
than the Pentaxes I had used. I loved that camera. I've  never gone for
higher end cameras, mainly because they are always bigger. I am  quite happier
with "consumer grade" cameras. Size is a very important issue for  me. I
don't have a lot of upper body strength and I don't like lugging a lot  around
in the field. Usually I carry one camera and one lens with me and leave  the
bag and the other lenses in the car. At most I take two lenses with me, one
on the camera and one in a bag (Tamron, I finally found one that is really
only  set up for one camera and two lenses.) I've never been sure that men
really  understand the weight and size issue as it pertains to women.  :-)

Then Pentax, now remember this may not be exact, brought out  two zooms
(one being the 16-55? 45?, I don't remember, but a lot of you guys  still have
them/it). I had originally liked Pentax so I got the DS (I think, it  could
have had another name), and the 16 whatever. So, briefly, I had two
systems. But, even though I liked the Pentax (it usually has a simpler and
clearer
interface) and the lighter weight of the lenses (Canon's are  wide-mouthed
and a lot heavier), I found nothing in the DS that really beat out  the
Canon rebel. Frankly, the AF didn't feel as good.

As to ergonomics, I  have a hard time finding buttons on the camera anyway,
so I really never noticed  a huge difference between any camera brand and
another, I always still have to  hunt around. Until I get used to a camera,
then it becomes second nature somehow  (until I have to use a button I
haven't used for a while, then I still have to  hunt around). I don't think I
have
ever "learned" my camera bodies the way some  of you have. On the other
hand, when I am shooting I am not thinking much about  the camera at all.

So it probably was the line up of camera lenses that  Canon has (and Nikon
too) that was the final determining factor. I am an  impatient person and I
liked that I didn't have to wait for lenses to come out  -- that there was
already a vast selection I could choose from, from cheaper end  to higher
end. I had waited a lot with Pentax.

And switching systems  wasn't/isn't a big thing for me. I never had the
investment in glass some on  this list have/had. But, also I am willing to
downgrade when I switch. Sell 1-3  lenses to get one. Usually that is the way
it
has gone. Sell camera and lenses  and get one new body and one new lens.
You really only need one lens with a  camera body when you start out. Then add
on from there. Also, I often buy used,  especially used lenses, and it's
often just a matter of hunting  around.

Also, I am not really a "gear" person. I am interested in gear,  but only
as it pertains to my photography. Ease of use and as few annoying  factors as
possible getting between me and my photography.

Now, not sure  what I will do in the future. Even older now and Canon
lenses are heavy (that  was one thing I really liked a LOT better about Pentax,
lighter lenses), and I  am getting tired of lugging around the weight I am --
which  is still a lot  less than many others lug around. I'd like one of
those lighter cameras. But do  I want to give up a mirror and a good
viewfinder? So far I have decided I don't.  But we shall see how that goes.

I don't think I will hold out  forever.

Probably more than anyone wants to know. But there are various  reasons for
switching, not just one or two, it's a complex matter. When you find  your
needs not being met is basically when it happens.

Later,  Marnie   I idenified a lot with what Cotty said.

In a message  dated 4/13/2013 4:12:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,