I should add, following the line of thought, that any/every camera is
capable in the hands of one who knows how to best use it.

The NEX line was a better choice for my son because he most likely
will use it in a P&S mode, but it has capabilities beyond, and I
already have a number of lenses and adapters. He's going to school for
graphic arts, and is into drawing mainly, but is being forced into the
world of technology even there... which he didn't expect. :)