David,

There is always a use for them provided your flash has enough power.
Softening and spreading the light always improves the image from what
a strong, harsh flash will do.  You can look up how much light loss
there is - I think about 2 stops and then check with your current
flash to see if it can still light up the area.

Bruce Dayton