On Sun, Aug 11, 2013, Steve Cottrell wrote:
> On 7/8/13, Eric Weir, discombobulated, unleashed:
>>
>>At this point I'm being sorely temped by the Fujifilm X10.  Would feel a
>>little guilty about sticking with Pentax, though.
>
> Deffo go for the X20 if you can - unless price is crucial.
>
> Not just saying this as some sort of defence, but the current Fuji
> lineup in terms of quality and obvious devotion to producing gear that
> photographers like to use, reminds me very much of Pentax in the late
> 70s and early 80s...

My main issue with Fuji is that it's less supported on Linux due to
their oddball sensor design (although we did just get a Fuji X-S1 for my
partner, who likes it a lot better than the Panasonic FZ-35).  But our
primary camera right now seems to be the Canon G1X, which has about the
best low-light performance of any zoomable P&S.  Also takes really nice
pictures.

A new G1X is too spendy for what you get (although I probably will just
pay for a new G2X whenever it comes out now that I've had reasonable
experience with the G1X), but we got ours from keh.com for about $500.
Doesn't seem to be available there right now, but bhphoto does.

The X20 doesn't yet have results on dxomark, but it would need to be a
considerable improvement over the X10 for its F2 lens to match the G1X's
F2.8.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/