Dave wrote:

>About the time the F5 comes out, Pentax introduces the PZ-70, finally a
>PZ-1p, and the ZX-5.

Wasn't the (P)Z-1p released years before the F5? I bought my Z-1p in '95
and the F5 was shown in '96.

>Pentax, on the other hand, goes way out into left field, and puts out the
>ZX/MZ cameras. Smaller, and in the case of the 5/5n very different from the
>'digital knobs and buttons' all the other mainstream camera manuf. produce.

Above all, I think Pentax last decade have been rather shameful when it
comes to slr's.

>If DSLRs in the big new thing, Pentax will be there in time...with something
>totally different from anything else. In the meantime we could see a MZ-Sn,
>or something...a little upgrade like the ZX/MZ-5/5n, and hopefullt more
>great glass (a new 70-200 F4 would be nice). If what I read last night hold
>though, Pentax is a few years away from a DSLR.

It's hard to say what Pentax will release. The fact is that Pentax design
all kinds of nice cameras that never see the light of day. Their engineers
make all kinds of nice things like Z-1p replacement, a replacement of the
replacement of the Z-1p, an LX replacement, eye controlled AF. Image
stabilizing lenses (12 years ago!), Image stabilizing converters, lots of
lenses. Unfortunately, the marketing people or the board say no to most of
the nice things; they are more concerned about short term profits. However,
the fact that Pentax did consider marketing a 6000USD digital slr, and in
fact had production line ready for it, but dropped it in the last minute at
least gives hope that Pentax are now willing to take some chances.

>I think I like Pentax now more than I did...reading over the last decade of
>photography, and seeing the crazyness produced by N, C, and M...I'm happy to
>stick with the consistant and steady Pentax. I think it must take a
>high-strung pro to deal in N and C...I'm just too mellow for that.

I strongly disagree with this; I find Pentax both inconsistent and quite
unsteady.

BTW Why on earth is this post labeled OT?

Pål