On Tue, Sep 10, 2013, Darren Addy wrote:

> Like the OP, I want a real viewfinder and I probably don't want a
> smaller sensor (mostly because I like wide and the smaller the sensor
> the harder it is to "go wide" with the focal length crop factor.)

One issue for me is that I really do like a tilting screen for macro
photography, I find it helps a lot.

> If LENSES are important, but you don't want HEAVY (two of the original
> poster's prerequisites) then I don't think you can do better than
> Pentax. They have nice light zooms and small light primes (Limiteds).
> The K-5 body is not overly large or heavy. Honestly, if the K-5 body
> is too heavy for you then I would hold off buying a camera and doing a
> little weight training. The K-5 body is 670 grams (with battery). You
> only save 34 grams by going to the entry level K-500. By contrast, the
> original Spotmatic in 1960 weighed 621 grams. As was mentioned, you
> can get a K-5 body for under your $600 figure, probably with a kit
> lens even.

Still, if you're assembling a travel kit, shaving 20-30% in total
bulk/weight can be significant.  And aside from the Bigma, there aren't
any current long zooms (compared with two 300mm -- 600mm/e -- in m4/3).

This isn't an argument against Pentax, mind, I'm still flipping back and
forth in my own mind whether the better lens variety and sensor quality
with Pentax is more worthwhile.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/