Thanks to all for the suggestions.

As I mentioned, I've completely decided on the ball head. I think the
Arca-Swiss p0 (zero) is a brilliant design and I wasn't even aware of
it until yesterday.
Using a full ring instead of a small knob to tighten/loosen the ball
is very glove-friendly (and even mitten-friendly), which is important
here where we definitely get a cold winter season. Also, the "upside
down" design means that level panning is possible (for example, for
stitched panoramas) even when the tripod legs are not level. The
"upside down" design also means that dust, moisture, etc. aren't going
to be pulled by gravity down INTO the ball head socket. And even with
its compact design, the p0 has the typical Arca-Swiss insane weight
capacities (44 lbs, for this model). Even if you cut that in HALF you
are at a very generous 22 lbs which should more than handle anything
you throw at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XzqULvCfMM

No one mentioned the Manfrotto 394, which this guy really likes on the p0:
http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/08/20/review-arca-swiss-p0-monoball/
(although he states that he "since replaced it with an Arca-style
clamp he found on eBay for about $25. No idea which one that would
be.)

I see that there is also a third party clamp that appears to be made
for the p0 (in that it is round) but it still accepts the STANDARD
Arca-Style QR's from RRS, Wimberley, Jobu, Arca-Swiss, Kirk, Markins,
etc. Due to the round design, it has to do this with much narrower
clamping surface than normal (presumably the reason why Arca-Swiss
didn't do this themselves and introduced the SlideFix for the p0) - so
that makes me a little leery of it, but the two reviews for it on
Amazon are both 5-stars (small sample set, I know)
http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-Discal-Compatible-DDY-64i-Sunway/product-reviews/B009EIQ41I/
and this guy seems very pleased with both it and their universal L-bracket.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3120618

--
Nothing is sure but death and Pentaxes.