Igor,

I came to Kirk and Arca Swiss from the regular Bogen/Manfrotto QR plates many of us start with. There wasn't a lot of auditioning different plates; I got a couple of ball heads, one on a Gitzo leg set and another for my ancient Bogen 3021 set. A friend suggested Kirk plates, even letting me try one out for a bit, and I was sold. The plates are solidly, beautifully, machined and in around fifteen years of use I've never had one fail in any way.