On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:05 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godd...@me.com> wrote:

>>> All that really matters for display on a computer screen is the number of
>>> pixels UNLESS you're using a page layout app that understands the density
>>> and renders it. I set my web resolution JPEGs to 72ppi out of habit, but it
>>> doesn't matter at all for a browser's display of a photograph.
>>
>> Strikes me as probably an interesting comment, but, novice that I am, I need
>> explanation.
>
> Not sure how much simpler I can make it.
>
> When exporting a photo for use on the web, don't worry about the density or
> dpi setting at all. Put any number you like in there. 72 is the de facto
> standard, it is usually ignored by most image display software.
>
> What's important is how many pixels are in the exported image, that's all.
> Lightroom allows you to set the export pixel sizing in several ways. Setting
> the long edge to a maximum number is what most people use ... if you set,
> 1000 pixels on the long edge and the photo is a 2:3 proportion, it will set
> the short edge to 667 pixels.

Thanks Godfrey. The problem is my understanding of terminology, e.g.,
"density," "resolution," "compression," "setting for pixel sizing," and how
they are set. Across the responses I think I'm getting it. I take that the
first three are synonyms and now see that the way of setting it is clearly
labeled "resolution"; that it's the pixel setting that's critical, that it can
be set several ways, that one is setting the long edge.

> (The density setting in the export panel is important when setting the export
> dimension in inches or other units for printing purposes. Then, Lightroom
> calculates the size in pixels required to make a print that dimension at the
> specified density.)

Noted.

>> Recently, I shared a set of photos taken at a candidates forum with the
>> organizers and invited them to use them however they would like, if they
>> would like. If I were to---I am going to!---start uploading smaller files,
>> might I in that situation invite people to request larger images if they
>> would be more suitable?
>
> If you post the afore-mentioned 1000x667 sized images, and your
> clients/friends/etc want to make a high quality print, you'll need to supply
> them with larger files on request for that purpose.

As expected.

> For a quality print, 240 ppi is about the minimum I like to send to a
> printer, and for 1000x667 pixel images, that's a print size of about 4x2.75
> inches. To make an 8x12 print at 240 ppi, you need 1920x2880 pixels in the
> source image.

The difference from settings for images to be uploaded to the web is the
density setting? To get dimension settings in pixels multiple size of desired
print by by density setting?

Lightroom seems to be becoming a little less opaque, but that may only be an
illusion.

Thanks again,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"With an ounce of willingness, everything can change."

- Kim