On Oct 11, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:05 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godd...@me.com> wrote:
>
>> When exporting a photo for use on the web, don't worry about the density or
>> dpi setting at all. Put any number you like in there. 72 is the de facto
>> standard, it is usually ignored by most image display software.
>>
>> What's important is how many pixels are in the exported image, that's all.
>> Lightroom allows you to set the export pixel sizing in several ways. Setting
>> the long edge to a maximum number is what most people use ... if you set,
>> 1000 pixels on the long edge and the photo is a 2:3 proportion, it will set
>> the short edge to 667 pixels.
>
> Thanks Godfrey. The problem is my understanding of terminology, e.g.,
> "density," "resolution," "compression," "setting for pixel sizing," and how
> they are set. Across the responses I think I'm getting it. I take that the
> first three are synonyms and now see that the way of setting it is clearly
> labeled "resolution"; that it's the pixel setting that's critical, that it
> can be set several ways, that one is setting the long edge.

Two followup questions: [1] When I go to change the settings for the Flickr
publish service and elect to use the long edge for image sizing I don't get an
option to set dpi. I know you said not to worry about it, but shouldn't I get
the option? [2] Once I've published a set of images, and don't contemplate
further changes to them, can I just delete them from the photostream folder in
the publish module?

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."

- Chief Seattle