Yeah, HCB said, "Your first10,000 shots are your worst." This from a man who
rarely (according to Gassman, his longtime developer) took more than two shots
of a subject.

Here's my thought (as a complete and utter amateur):

The "shoot lots" thing is valid. As you said, Doug, if you're working the
subject, playing with angles, doing it with some awareness and mindfulness,
then it's worthwhile.

Likewise, if you are later poring over your images and learning from mistakes,
seeing what works and what doesn't, then it's valuable.

If you're just machine gunning, hoping to get lucky, then it's a waste of
batteries and pixels.

The idea is to increase your hit rate.

So Tom is kind of right. But so's everyone else.

;-)

Cheers,
frank

Doug Brewer <d...@dougbrewerphotography.com> wrote:
>On 10/30/13 10:25 AM, Alan C wrote:
>> Why do fashion photographers take so many shots then?
>>
>> Alan
>
>There is a difference between working a subject, or having a range of
>good shots in which you will find one that works best, and machine
>gunning with the hope that one will be passable.
>
>I frequently, when working with a subject, will over-shoot, looking for
>
>variations on shots already in the bag, or to work past what we have
>done before. I get a pile of good shots that way, but a smaller pile of
>
>special shots.
>
>It's true that you must take many photos before you can start getting
>good ones regularly. I believe HCB said it takes ten thousand. I think
>took considerably more than that before I got where I am, and I'm not
>where I want to be yet.

“Analysis kills spontaneity.” -- Henri-Frederic Amiel