I agree to a certain extent. In some situations, preparing and shooting at the
right moment is most critical and taking numerous shots can be a detriment to
getting the one you want.  In other situations,  multiple exposures can be
helpful. For example, when shooting the great blue heron a couple of weeks ago
I knew that he was likely to take off, so I had preselected the central focus
point and made sure I had plenty of shutter speed, then I just waited. When he
did take off, I got one shot as he lifted off the water and waited to take a
second until he was directly adjacent to me.   If I had kept firing after
liftoff, I probably wouldn't have gotten a good in-flight shot. On the other
hand, when shooting cars for publication, I'll record numerous exposures of the
same shot, sometimes turning the polarizer a bit or reframing slightly. Too
many choices are just enough. But I rarely bracket, since a good average
exposure provides plenty of working room when the RAW is converted.

Paul