On 10/30/2013 14:21, knarf wrote:
Yeah, HCB said, "Your first10,000 shots are your worst." This from a man who
rarely (according to Gassman, his longtime developer) took more than two shots of a
subject.

Here's my thought (as a complete and utter amateur):

The "shoot lots" thing is valid. As you said, Doug, if you're working the
subject, playing with angles, doing it with some awareness and mindfulness, then it's
worthwhile.
> Likewise, if you are later poring over your images and learning from
mistakes, seeing what works and what doesn't, then it's valuable.
> If you're just machine gunning, hoping to get lucky, then it's a waste of
batteries and pixels.

The idea is to increase your hit rate.

***** So Tom is kind of right. But so's everyone else.**** MARK!

;-)

Cheers,
frank

When shooting slide film , especially if I was considering something for stock, I overshot - but my overshooting could have been a whole roll
taken on a tri-pod, bracketing and straight duplication of something I
felt was important... and then I'd take a couple of shots with the other camera in black and white if I really liked what I was shooting.

The film was considered cheap in the sense that if you had to go back to the place your were shooting, or set up a new appointment with a person, for instance, overshooting was protection - not jsut against getting your ducks lined up but protecting against something like a bit of grit in your camera that left a nice scratch over several frames.

I can't get out of the habit of overshooting in that fashion but I certainly shoot from the hip now and then instead of setting up and waiting for the moment.

ann