On 01/01/2014 12:21 PM, Paul Sorenson wrote:
Yeah - lard was the spread used on toast - you couldn't get/afford
butter.  I don't remember my grandmother ever throwing out a piece of
soap too small to use.  She just kept smushing all those small pieces
together until she had a full bar again.

My wife found a mesh drawstring bag (the mesh is like a kinder, gentler Scotchbrite pad) that soap bits get put into. it is a great scrubbing pad for cleaning up after working in the garden, or fixing the tractor or whatever.

bill