On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 10:27:51AM -0500, Ann Sanfedele wrote:

> I splurged on a duck breast for Christmas (well, I had a gift
> certificate for Whole foods, so... ) cooked the yukon gold potatos
> in
> my small cast iron pan with the fat skin I pulled off the breast -
> the freezer has a few table spoons of duck fat that I couldnt bring
> myself to trash.

I've got perhaps 6oz of duck fat sitting in the fridge that I use
when I'm roasting potatoes.  Heston Blumenthal swears by duck fat
for that kind of thing, and who am I to disagree? I've had his
triple-cooked chips at the Hind's Head (the pub he owns in Bray,
just down the road from his 3-star restaurant "The Fat Duck"),
and they're every bit as good as people claim.

I've also got over 1lb of dripping from assorted roasts (and some
bacon, occasionally) that gets used for other culinary purposes.