On 1 Feb 2014, at 16:56, Christine Aguila <christ...@caguila.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone:
>
> If you were to do a photo shoot of a ski outting, what might be your kit,
> preparation and strategy, and safety issues?  Obviously, a photographer
> wouldn’t want to just wait at the bottom of the hill for shots of folks
> coming down the hill.  How would you keep your kit safe when maneuvering
> along the hill?
>
> Any tips and strategies from any PDML Skier-Photogs?
>
> I’m not planning a ski shoot this season, but maybe next season.

I went skiing a few years ago with one of my brothers and his family, who are
very good skiers. It's the only time I've skiied. It was the film era and I was
using a Contax with Zeiss lenses. When I was skiing I left them at my brother's
house - I had no wish to have that stuff on me while skiing, it was likely to
be dangerous. On some days I didn't ski, and took the camera kit in a Domke
F-2, went up the ski lift with them and found some spots where I could get
different views of them on the way down, them some shots of one of my nephews
boarding.

I took a full range of lenses, from a 300mm to a 21mm. I took incident light
readings with my hand shading the underside of the meter so that the snow would
come out right.

Here's a page I've just put up. Low-res scans to CD.

http://www.web-options.com/Skiing/

The best shot is the one of my nephew jumping off a low bank - that's with a
21mm lens (35mm camera). Most of the shots are very samey, although I expect
someone with more experience would much better.