Christine,

Once upon a time (in the film era) I spent a week every winter for about 18
years doing lots of ski shooting--lessons, open skiing, races.

I used a Super Program at first, then a PZ-1 and PZ-1p.

Observations, in no particular order:
- Jeez, it is COLD when you're standing at the side of a slope (e.g. shooting
races), not skiing.
- Practice handling your camera with gloves before you're out on the slopes.
Things feel different.
- I took a 70-210 or 80-320 in a fanny pack to minimize bulk and maximize
accessibility.
- Anything throws one's balance off, though, so one must ski carefully when
carrying the camera stuff.  Falling on a camera hurts both the camera and
oneself.
- One's natural tendency is to make the ground level in the frame, which makes
it appear as though the slope isn't very steep (even when it is).  So finding a
vertical reference and paying attention to it will produce more dramatic shots.
- Snow is remarkably bright; so shooting with wide latitiude (print film then,
low ISO now) is good for bringing out details in the subjects later.

Have fun!

Rick