On Oct 6, 2014, at 10:38 PM, P.J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/6/2014 9:33 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Stanley Halpin
>> <s...@stans-photography.info> wrote:

>>> There are adapters that support the use of Hassleblad etc. on the 645.
>>> Maybe you can find the faster glass you need by going that route?
>> I always assumed that there isn't faster glass because there doesn't
>> need to be. The DoF on medium format is already razor thin compared to
>> 35mm and APS-C and perhaps a 1.4 on a 645z would create a serious
>> focusing problem? Or ridiculously OOF portraits?
>>
>> In other words, we have what's practical to sell, as with other
>> formats. Or am I way off base?
>>
> Not just DOF, but an f2.0 135mm would be quite large and heavy if built to
> cover the 645 format, yet it would be the equivalent of a Portrait lens say
> 85mm on 35mm, (75mm actually).  Fast glass makes in any focal length on 645
> need a tripod, whereas Pentax build a system to be equally good as a hand
> held field camera, as well as at home on a tripod in a studio.  Traditionally
> medium format lenses have been fairly slow.  There are exceptions, but they
> are exceptions.

Bruce, not to disagree with your point at all, but FYI a 645 135mm lens on the
645z would have an effective field of view equivalent to a 110mm lens on a 35mm
film camera. The “crop factor” is 0.8. So taking (many of) the actual lenses
available, the 645z has:

X 645 lens => equivalent to Ymm focal length on 35mm

25 => 20mm
35 => 28mm
45 => 35mm
55 => 44mm
75 => 60mm
90 => 72mm
120 => 96mm
150 => 120mm
200 => 160mm

I think you were basing your comparison on actual 6x4.5 film vs. 35mm film.

One other point about lens speed: the importance of wide apertures has
seriously diminished (except for very specialized niche applications that call
for shallow DOF) - the ability to shoot clean shots at ISO6400 or 12800 really
makes “fast” lenses a relic of the good old days when we had a choice of either
Kodachrome as God intended it to be at ISO 25 or of that new Kodachrome 64 that
was a serious compromise in quality.

Though I must admit that I prefer a fast lens to a slower one for the simple
reason that I have a brighter image to focus and compose.

Stan