On Oct 7, 2014, at 04:10 , Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> Stanley Halpin wrote:
>

>> One other point about lens speed: the importance of wide apertures has
>> seriously diminished (except for very specialized niche applications that
>> call for shallow DOF) - the ability to shoot clean shots at ISO6400 or 12800
>> really makes “fast” lenses a relic of the good old days when we had a choice
>> of either Kodachrome as God intended it to be at ISO 25 or of that new
>> Kodachrome 64 that was a serious compromise in quality.
>>

> I take it that you've never tried photographing dancers at a social dance:
> tango, lindy hop, west coast, blues etc.  Nor have you probably ever tried
> photographing martial artists taking a belt test, or any other athletic
> activity where people are moving fairly quickly in indoor lighting and you
> can't use a flash.
>
> Yes, what we can get out of sensors at ISOs above 6400 these days is really
> amazing, but trust me, the need for fast glass for reasons other than shallow
> dof has not gone away.

I agree that for dim-light action photography, you just can't beat a fast lens.

I was surprised at my last series of concert photos, though, that I shot with
the F70-210.  I forgot to set the "program mode" for SPEED and had left it at
MTF.  Upon reviewing all of my (pretty decent-looking) images after the show, I
found that almost every shot was taken at f/8!  That would have been absolutely
unimaginable in the film days.

(example, if you care)

http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2014/lily_allen/content/K5__4431_large.html

 -Charles